Sunday, March 27, 2011

There's Never a Toilet Around When You Really Need One!

Dear Reader,

This is just a funny little story of another painful episode for my husband which took place once in Rome. Unlike the last painful incident I told you about, this time we were on foot in the middle of a huge city and it should not have been as difficult to find a toilet as it was on the road. If there's one thing I have learned from all our years of travel to Europe, it's always know where the toilets are. This knowledge will save your trip besides making it a lot more pleasant.

Back in the day before ATM machines were common in Europe, we were way ahead of Europe in that respect, people used to have to carry traveler' checks or exchange US dollars at a bank. Both methods were a real pain in the backside but traveler's checks were slightly better.

Almost everything in those days was cash only as well. The museums and other sights, inexpensive osterias and pizzerias, public transportation and even most small hotels and pensions required cash. But it's not safe to carry large quantities of cash around because of thieves and pickpockets which means you must cash checks frequently.

When you convert US cash, you always lose money in the exchange because the banks give you a lower rate. And don't even try to convert at one of those currency exchange booths on the streets, they give even a lower rate. Going to the bank used to be really frustrating because they never would keep the business hours promised. Even when the sign said they would be closed from noon to 2:00PM, you could stand in line until 3:00PM and later, wasting half a day's sightseeing just to get some badly needed cash. One time John had been standing in line for so long for the train station bank to open that he got in a fight with a guy who tried to cut in front of him. It's no fun to stand in any line in Italy because they all just push right past you, no matter how big you are.

Traveler's checks were a bit easier to use because you could cash them just about anywhere but get the best rate at the American Express office which stayed open all day. We were almost out of cash one afternoon while at the Spanish Steps so we went to the American Express office to cash a traveler's check. Of course, there was a long line. There always was a long line. It also moved very slowly for reasons unknown but I imagine a language barrier had something to do with it.

Eventually we made slow progress towards the front of the line. I think we were about 4th from the front when John informed me he couldn't hold it any longer. In fact, he was in agony he'd been holding it so long. I told him to go do his business and I'd hold his place in line. Our the door he ran. I hoped he found a bar or pizzeria nearby to use.

About 10 minutes later a very red faced John came back and said he'd had no luck at all finding a place and the American Express guy overheard him. He suggested John try MacDonald's just down the street. He gave John directions and off he went in a flash. When I finally caught up at the MacDonald's I was pleasantly surprised to find it enormous with a very large restroom facility. There was a line but lots of stalls and very little waiting. I was relieved to find this and hoped that John had made it in time.

When I came out I saw him smiling on the street and we sang a little "Life Is Worth Living Again". He was also impressed with MacDonald's restrooms and said MacDonald's saved his life. I have since read about this MacDonald's in travel guide books and thought at the time, I wish I'd had that information before John ran out the door that day.

Since that particular trip I have paid a lot more attention to such minor details as this. I know where the toilets are in major museums before I enter the door. I make sure a long distance bus or train we will be on has a toilet. And I practice the art of entering a bar and knowing right where to go to find the toilet as if I belong there. Fancy hotels are also a good place to find nice toilets. I even found a toilet for John on top of the Palatine Hill on another trip right inside of Augustus's Palace. That one was a real surprise.

When planning your next or first trip to Europe or anywhere, find out about the toilets. Do they have seats or do you have to stand? Do they require coins? Do they have toilet paper or must you bring your own? We carried toilet paper for years and still do just in case. It's all in knowing the little details before hand which will enrich your experience and I recommend taking the extra time to find these things out. You can thank me later.

Ciao

1 comment:

  1. Okay, a little clarification is needed here. Sure, I was in dire straights, but it was so much worse then that. I was going no matter what, period. I had no control, so you can imagine my distress in not finding a handy tiolet in the American Express office or anywhere nearby. So McDonald's litterally saved my butt - twice. I was running through the crowds with both hands on my rear, holding the cheeks together. Thank God no one had cell phone cameras back then or YouTube hits would have been at an all time high that week.

    ReplyDelete